Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Made It - It's all about MATH

 It's that time again! Time for Monday Made It over at 4th Grade Frolics.  I have to be honest, I have been taking a little break trying to sneak in a few trips here and there before the summer ends. I am starting to freak out that we only have 20 days left! Where did the time go? Even though I've been running around with the kids...I managed to get some things done this week.


This week my focus was completely on MATH! I've had lots of questions about my T.I.M.E.R. unit and what I use for each section. I have made a ton of games & other activities from fellow bloggers. I also borrowed a few idea and created these:

First up...I finally made math towers. It has been on my to do list forever. I took the advice from another blogger and used the plastic cups so they would last longer. I found the container at the Dollar Tree and it is perfect to hold the cups.




Next I made Math Fact Jenga! This will go perfect with my guided math rotation (Math Facts) I grouped the facts into 4 groups (ex. 0,5,10 facts) Then I assigned each group of facts a colored star. I used file folder stickers and labeled the different sides of the wood so that each side would have a math fact from each group. This allows me to have flexibility and to differentiate the instruction. As I introduce the facts, I can have students work with just that colored star. As we progress I can assign more than one or have them do all 4 stars! I also thought I could have them say the 4 numbers sentences in the fact family for a specific colored stars. I love how these turned out and I know my kids are going to love them!



Finally....I sat down and worked on my Math Interactive Notebooks for next year. Last year I wasn't as organized as I would have liked to have been with them. My notebooks won't be the traditional version where specific things go on left or right. However they will be jammed packed with resources that range from notes to interactive activities the students can refer back to. As I organized all of the activities I typically do with my students - I figured I would just make it a file to share with others! You can get it here! Here are just a few pictures of what it looks like so far! Check back this week - where I'll explain how I use the notebooks and how I've changed how I organize them!







7 comments:

Kristi

I am planning to use interactive notebooks this year too. I started midyear last year and the kids loved them. I'll be checking back with you often to see what I can "steal" from you.

Kristi
Learning's a Hoot

Brandi

I made towers and realized after my daughter played with them that I probably should have used plastic cups. But they're done and I'm thinking I can have a parent redo the cups if need be!

Brandi
Success in Second Grade

Angela

Great math ideas! Thanks! I used InterActive notebooks with my 5th/6th grade class and LOVED them! I now teach 1st/2nd and hadn't thought to try them with my littles... you've got me thinking! :)

Better Than a Milk Mustache

A Teacher Without a Class

I love the jenga idea! I made so many math facts games for my oldest son. We played Harry Potter game, racing game, but jenga--that adds a new twist!

Anonymous

I love all of the math ideas. I have bought your TIMER unit and I am excited to use it this school year. For the interactive notebook, will you be creating more units to go with that?

Mrs. E

Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement! And thank you for your purchase! Yes, I do plan on creating more units. I honestly don't sell anything I don't use in my classroom. Getting the notebooks organized is my latest project before school starts. I may get 1-2 units out before we go back later in the month, then I will continue to add them throughout the year as we use them. If you follow my store you will get an email update when I add more things! Thank you again!

Mrs. Blando

Hello! I like your Math ideas. My students struggled with some facts. I think they would love the Jenga Facts game. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...